Saturday 30 March 2013

Allotment Week - Greenhouse - Part 3

Surely it must be nearly done by now? No it seems that putting the glazing in is a really time consuming job for one person.
You first have to add rubber beading to each position that the glass has to go in. You cannot have glass directly touching the metal otherwise thermal expansion would ensure you get a crack or three. The beading comes in one long coil of the stuff. You cannot let any grit or dirt get into it and the same goes for the frame so you have to keep it off the ground. Fortunately it fits around the top of the steps (pillaged from the equipment store again). you can just see the beading on the roof truss top left.

Once you have the beading in then you have to clip each pane of glass in with a spring like clip. Believe me this is not so easy. I got a couple of broken fingernails before I found a suitable tool for the job. Fortnately an old plastic spoork was found buried in the soil and provided an ample opportunity to earn it's keep.
Tools of the trade. Knife for cutting beading, spoork for clipping in the metal clasps (seen in the middle of the step), a piece of the beading, and the clips used to join two panes of glass together (next to spoork). All. artfully posed. NB. I don't leave to blade exposed during work. Safety first!

I soon managed to get things sorted and get the roof on.
I was on site at 9am this morning and by 5pm when I called it quits for the day, I had finally got three sides done.
Just the front and door to go. I feel like I could sleep until next week. Still more to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?