Sunday, 18 June 2017

Phew, what a scorcher

It's hot.

Let me amend that.

It's damn hot.

Yesterday (Sat) we went to the Wimbledon Village Fair but we didn't stay long because the temperature out was pushing 30. Today (Sun) was going to be similar or worse. So we decided to wake up at "surely this time shouldn't exist" O'Clock and we were at the plot just a shade after 6am. We were fully intending to get a little work done and then head home before the heat got to us.

Big mistake.

First things first, we have a shed load of stuff still sitting in the greenhouses that needs to be outside. Such as the Butternut Squashes and some more courgettes. These went into the weed area which was the previous mound. But now a lot of the previous soil has been put back into the main beds, so it's a lot flatter than normal.
Yes, they are looking a little yellow. They were probably left in the pots about a week too many.

Secondly the Tomatoes needed re-potting and segregating from the mixup of stuff in the two greenhouses. Well we did get some of the Toms re-planted. But the heat meant we couldn't get all of them done. So we only did the bigger ones, trusting that the smaller ones wouldn't need the re-potting until next week (or it gets a little cooler in the evenings.)

The Sweetcorn is looking much better after our disastrous start. And the beetroots are doing well too (at the back in the picture below).

We've also started re-potting some of the flower and other odds-and-ends.

And of course, the strawberries are really on a roll.

Big thick leaves, and luscious berries as shown above.

Wait, what? You can't see the strawberries themselves? You want a close up? OK.

But you aren't getting the kind of close-up I'll be getting... after I've downed a gallon of water to beat this heat.

Saturday, 3 June 2017

It's like a jungle sometimes...

...makes me wonder how I keep from going under.

No, I'm not trying to outdo Belinda and her music with every post. The greenhouses are starting to feel like a jungle now. We definitely have to evict some of the current residents otherwise it's going to be a nightmare.

First off we have the Cosmos which has now moved to one of the arms of the flower bed. The stalks are still a little fragile, so a simple bamboo cane support helps them stay put.

Next to be vacated is the Cape Gooseberries and Chinese Lanterns. These have now been put in separate beds.

Meanwhile, I've been attacking the old courgette mound. Since this year it's been retired, or rather, moved, to another spot, the old spot has been somewhat rather over run with weeds.

Of course the problem is that there are quite a few rogue potatoes in there as well. So I need to pull weeds without disturbing the spuds. Well in the end I opted for a compromise of pulling big weeds then stamping down the other and putting a large piece of carpet over it. We'll eventually have to move the butternut squash out here later, but in the meantime the greenhouse now looks a little more empty.

I think it's time for a well deserved cold bottle of cider that I have chilling in the fridge.

Monday, 29 May 2017

BBQ on a rainy Bank Holiday

Seems a contradiction of terms, having a BBQ in the rain? But then again it's a typical Bank Holiday and the rain was only a few spits, so why not?

It certainly didn't stop the bumble bees though. At one point I counted 12 of them buzzing around the flower bed.

All of them as busy as the proverbial.

Anyway, we did a little weeding, a little potting on and a lot of relaxing eating nice food.

Saturday, 27 May 2017

Heat wave

It's been a bit warm recently. Today was forecast to reach 28°C, so with that in mine we elected to get to the plot early before it got too hot to do anything. Obviously first on the agenda was to water the plants as many appeared to be somewhat parched.

Nevertheless, many had been loving the additional warmth and had started to rocket off. Some of which were the remaining sweetcorn which had stayed in their growing trays in the greenhouse. Untangling their roots was a bit of a chore, but I did eventually get them out and put into the second sweetcorn bed. They are so much bigger than the ones that were put out last week.

The beans were also starting to get a little yellow. Possibly from the heat they were in, possibly because we'd been almost drowning them in water to ensure they stayed alive. So they also went out.

The grape vine has also recovered from the late frost and has started putting out a load of leaves. Better late than never, but I'm still not certain what impact this will have on grape production. Mind you, it's not like we get a lot of grapes of it anyway.

And we have our first courgette of the season. Only a few centimetres long and not ready yet. But it offers hope for the rest of the season.

Sunday, 21 May 2017

Beetroot and Sweetcorn and Courgettes, Oh my.

Like wayward kids, it's time to kick some of the plants out of the house. Greenhouse that is.

The Beetroots have been put into the recently re-covered clay bed.

One bed of sweetcorn has been put out. Hopefully these will fare better than the last lot.

There are still a few more sweetcorn growing on as seedlings, so there will be a second bed. And the courgettes that have recovered from the frost have now been put out.

Meanwhile in the 2nd greenhouse, I've re-arranged the pallet shelves to lay things out a bit more. Everything is now up off the floor and hopefully out of reach of the snails.

It's getting a little strange in there these days. The strawberries are loving the heat though. Even the mutated Frankenberry.