Sunday 29 July 2018

Bucket'o'spuds

So the spuds that are planted in the ground have seen their last. Their foliage is dying... which means it's time to dig them up.

Now normally, we do spuds in bags. In fact this year we have bags and buckets. I've already upturned a few bucket and found that the output was rather low. So I wasn't really expecting much from these. However as you can see, we've got a whole bucket of them. Certainly far more than I expected. So it would seem that the amount of spuds produced is in direct proportion to the size of the container... in this case the bed. But there is also a correlation to the amount of work necessary to obtain them. Bed spuds need careful digging. Buckets and bags can just be simply upturned.

So after the spuds were dug out I planted some of the pot bound tomatoes that were dying in the greenhouse. They were at the very back and as I didn't have any larger pots, they were decidedly sorry for themselves.

Mind you... it's still a jungle in there.

Yes, I know there may be blight issues since potatoes and tomatoes are the same plant family, but I suspect that this heat will keep the blight away by drying out the spores before they can set.

We're also expecting good things from the grapes this year as well.

And our Edamame (Soy beans) are now ready for harvest.

So today's harvest is thus (not including the bucket'o'spuds)

A typical Japanese snack is to have boiled salted edamame and a beer. Well, I don't drink beer, so I guess a Dandelion and Burdock will do instead. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?