Sunday 16 August 2020

In a bit of a pickle

A while back I started counting the number of courgettes that came from the plot. The old "Courgette Tally". Well I'm not sure how many that I've collected this year, since I neglected to start counting right at the beginning, but I am drowning in them. We've had them fried, souped, grated, baked, and now I've tried pickling them.

And we still have loads left. I tried de-hydrating some a couple of years ago, that didn't go so well. Well, that's to say the drying went OK. It was the re-hydrating and cooking that failed. I just ended up with a slimy mess that tasted foul. So it would seem that the best way is to keep them is by turning them into another product... hence pickles.

But we still have loads to give away...

Our potatoes kind of finished early this year. Maybe it was the heat? But I pulled the main stalks off a couple of weeks ago, and today I finally up-ended the bag to see what was inside. Plenty there, but they were kind of small.

Still better than nothing. But we still need to keep on top of the weed situation. Turn your back for two minutes and there are a thousand more weeds to pull.

Guess that this winter I'll have to get most of the beds covered... I just need to get enough weed membrane from somewhere. Somewhere that I can go shopping that is, because as it stands at present, I can still only go home and the allotment. Not allowed to go anywhere else until I'm vaccinated.

2020 has been an "interesting" year so far.



1 comment:

  1. I did wonder what you would do with all of those courgettes! Our potatoes are turning out the same, huge number of small main-crops, the king edward were only 1kg per tuber, the vivaldi were 2kg per tuber. Still waiting on the sarpos

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?