Monday 4 June 2012

In the beginning...

Strictly speaking, this isn't the beginning.
I was first given a plot back in March. However the plot could only be accessed by crossing another holder's plot. Not only that but the plot itself was extremely overgrown with brambles and, being right next to the boundary fence, had received a fair amount of "over the wall" deliveries.

During my attempt to clear things up I found many things. A TV, and old VCR, stereo system, car radio, cans of car spray paint, car windscreen wipers, car... bits. I guess somebody was disposing of their car piece by piece by lobbing it over the fence.
After a while spent clearing, I received an irate email from the neighbour who forbid me access. So I went back to the Allotment Committee, and to the Council and they basically said: "Forget it. We'll stick you back on the waiting list." Having spent the past two years on the list, I was resigned to my fate.

But then I got elected onto the Allotment Committee.
I'm not new to Committees. I ran the UK's largest Anime society for 15 years, and spent about 8 of those years running various Anime conventions around the UK. Getting things organised gives me a sense of satisfaction. So one of the things we had to sort out was a list of non-cultivated plots. I was one of about 4 other members who, for one reason or another, were waiting for plots. I had the choice of two plots. One was scraped clear of all vegetation by the Council and was ready to go. Just get planting and you're away. I didn't choose that plot.
Instead I chose Plot 30. Over grown with grass and weeds. A few vestiges of the previous owner in the form of a Vine, Rhubarb plant, and a small Apple tree, and some sitting residents. It was these residents that I was most interested in.
Foxes. Now most people would call them pests and nuisances. But I (and the Wife) like them. They may seem a nuisance, but they are "trainable". That is to say, if you accept how they live, you can design your way around their lifestyle so that they become a useful part of the Allotment. Quite frankly, they are going to be very useful indeed.
So over the Bank Holiday weekend I visited the home of my future food factory to take a look. Yes, loads of grass and weeds.


Guess I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?