Thursday 7 June 2012

The other residents

As I said in an earlier entry, there are some existing plants on the plot. Most of which I will try and keep.
Firstly there is the grape vine. I don't know what kind of vine it is, but it has certainly been there a long while. It probably was staked out at some point but the supports have long since vanished and the poor thing is overgrown with bindweed and couch grass. Kind of difficult to rescue it. I have had to cut some of the long vine tentacles off to free it.

It is my hope to install a shed next to the vine, and train it up the side and across the roof. Hopefully this will get it into better shape and provide a fruitful harvest in the years to come.

The Rhubarb is still in place. It looks to be growing in an old compost bin in between the vine and the water tank. It does seem to be in reasonable condition despite being under attack from a multitude of slugs and snails.

At the very back corner of the plot is an Apple tree. Not sure what variety it is at the moment. I have yet to even make a start on that small corner. It is still surrounded by metre high grasses.
(Yes that is an Apple tree... somewhere)

On my way to the back of the plot I discovered an additional resident in the form of an artichoke. Definitely want to try and keep that. Seems to be well established and should probably reveal a choke or two as the year progresses despite being buried under a sea of grass and weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?