Sunday 4 August 2013

Beware the beasties

There are things that live down the allotment that really love us. That is to say they want to sink their teeth in us and suck our blood.

Last week I did the usual evening stint down the allotment to water the plants and I bumped into one of the new MAGA committee members who was voted in a few weeks back. We got chatting for a while until almost dusk (about an hour). We both had plans which we would like to see done so it was a chance to discuss things at great length whilst surrounded by the target of our intentions.

It was only the day after when I realised that something nasty lurked in the dusk. Not sure what it was the decided that I was tasty looking but something (or things I suspect) decided that they wanted to take a nibble out of me. Normally I'm immune to these things A small bite, stinging nettle or wasp sting only raises a small reddish lump which then goes within the hour. But this time around I got three massive big blisters, my legs heated up and the skin turned an angry red. The blisters eventually burst and became open weeping sores.

I'll spare you the pictures, if only because you probably enjoyed your dinner and want to keep it. It's not a pretty sight. But it makes the wearing of trousers rather uncomfortable and the site of me in shorts is enough to turn a few heads (and a few stomachs).

On the good side, the courgettes are now in full production so far having yielded 8 juicy sweet fruits. And the rhubarb is still going great guns. I had my first attempt at making Rhubarb and Ginger jam. Sort of a success, it hasn't quite set but it's certainly gloopy enough to spread on your toast. I think I'll give it another go in a few weeks time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?