Tuesday 27 August 2013

Oh how the mighty have fallen... for jam.

'Tis a shame for a once mighty plant. My artichokes have seen better days. Once so proud with crowns of blues flowers and a feeding house for hundreds of bees. Now they lie sadly on their last legs.

But don't worry, my rogue sunflower is going great guns and now always seems to have a bee or three. Mind you those scruffy bees are throwing the pollen out. Just look at it on the leaves below.

And on the subject of flowers, there are still loads on the courgettes.

Just as well, because they're still throwing out the tasty goodness.

But my onions didn't really do so well. They never really seemed to get going and ended up small and neglected. I can't really use them in anything much. So instead I turned them into pickled onions. Just the thing to have with my fish and chips.

But that old stalwart of the plot the rhubarb has been sprouting again. So much so that I harvested over 5kg of the stuff. What to do with it all? Well jam of course.

This will be the jam I enter into the MAGA Produce Show on the 7th of September. So I chose a few various sizes of jars to make sure I get a good one for the show itself. (also going into the show will be the chutney and courgette loaf from previous articles.)

Does anybody know the best way to remove labels off commercial products? I can never seem to get them off clean. They always leave a glue residue.

Meanwhile back on the plot. A hungry fox has had a bit of nibble at my corn.
Maybe I should get him some proper fox food. Liver? Dog food? Angry plotholders?



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?