Sunday 2 February 2014

Sunny Start to February

Well what was a nice weekend. They promised us storms and more rain. What we got were blue skies. Time to get out there and get things done.

OK, maybe not. The ground is still sodden and unworkable. Although we're flooded in parts on the East side, over on the West I guess they can only contemplate a rice crop in their paddy fields.
Yes that is one allotment plot. Totally underwater. They have it somewhat bad over there.
Right where I was standing there was actually a stream of water running across the path. Not a good day for working the plot.

So what else could I do? Well I've already re-organised the shed, like other people are doing. And I can't start planting because it's still a bit too early. But I can start planning.

I've been trawling through various seed catalogues and websites deciding on what I'm going to grow this year. Last year the courgettes were absolutely brilliant, so I want to give them a go again this year. Though probably not so many plants this time. I cannot understand why people grow common potato varieties as they are available in the shops for a low cost and no difference in taste. Having said that I will be growing some heirloom varieties of potatoes this year, as well as some special carrots (Purple!).

The area I cleared the raspberry canes from (which is now my swimming pool) will become a huge herb bed. With a lot of the seed I collected last year. I still have areas of the plot that need clearing. But I can't do that until the weather improves. Scratch that. The weather has improved. I just need the ground to dry out a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?