Saturday 26 April 2014

Have bits. Will build.

As I have mentioned many times on this blog, the ground here is infested with couch grass and bind weed. Doesn't make for nice planting. So to counteract that I decided on raised beds. Turns out there is an additional need for these.

We currently have a load of plants delivered for our forthcoming plant sale. These are delivered is small plug trays and need planting up into pots t be grown on ready to be sold. But I also have my own seedlings which need planting out. Either way I'm running out of space. So if these raised beds get built then they will immediately get put to use as a temporary storage area. Either for my own plants or the ones for the plant sale.
Bits of wood.

The Petunias I potted up last week. This week I have some Busy Lizzies and Nicotiana. But first I need to get some place to put them. Fortunately Wickes has the necessary materials. I actually bought these back on Tuesday, but didn't manage to get them finished until today. But no matter they can act as temporary storage.
Danger! Construction Zone.

I also planted out my sprouts, red onion sets (a gift from my father) and the beetroot. Although they're shown here just planted, they are in fact now covered over with horticultural fleece (again a gift from my father). The same fleece which is doing time as a temporary cover for the plants in the raised beds. Though at the moment they're acting more like a cold frame.
Instant cold frame.

Sprouts, onions and beetroot, planted out.

A temporary loan of a small mini cloche is also acting as a temporary home for the plant sale plants.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, the spuds and carrots are doing well.

Oh, and there was also the issue of getting a car out of a hole. Yeah, somebody onsite decided that they needed to plant their car into a hole and got it stuck. With the help of other allotmenteers we did finally manage to rescue it. But all in all it was a pretty hectic day.

Same again tomorrow? Let me sleep on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?