Sunday 6 September 2015

Biggest harvest

Today was the final removal of some of the remaining plants. The last of the beetroots (to be pickled) the last of the outdoor tomatoes (to be chutney'd - the indoor cherry toms are still going strong).


The courgettes are still cranking out the odd one or two, though the rate of production has slowed somewhat.

Then there is the lavender that we planted ages ago. It seems to have done a reasonable job this year. I wouldn't say a brilliant job because the recent rains over the past few weeks has somewhat dampened the flowers. But today was pretty dry so I though it would be a good idea to try and harvest a few of the longer stems. I want to try and turn them into Lavender Wands.

Whilst I was at the plot, I also started cutting back the leaf beets. They'd all gone to seed anyway, so now is the time to trim them back ready for the winter months. Hopefully next year they'll do us proud once again. Providing the frost doesn't get them. Mind you, we really do need a good winter to kill off some of the pests that seem to be everywhere these days. Maybe the El Nino effect that is going on at present will oblige. It's usual effect is to give us a colder, drier winter.

But garden pests are not the only danger that is out and about. I travel to Slough for work. So Slough Station is a common place I visit. And so do hundreds of kids with their parents thanks to Legoland at Windsor. So imagine my dismay when I see a rather pest of a plant growing right by the side of the platform where any grasping little fingers can get at the tempting looking berries.

Three guesses as to what this plant is...

I know exactly what this is, and I have informed the appropriate authorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?