Saturday 10 September 2016

Bushcraft down the allotment

As I've mentioned before, I come from a Scouts and Venture Scouts background. I love camping and cooking over an open fire. Of course the problem is that down the allotment fires are severely restricted. But there are alternatives.

I've recently bought myself a Ghillie Kettle.

I've had my penny can alcohol stove in the greenhouse for ages, but this is a little bigger and simply burns bits of twigs and other assorted wood. It's a double walled boiler where the fire is contained in the base and shoots up through the middle, much like a rocket stove. It boils the water, and then with a small stand adaptor you can cook on top at the same time. This manages to boil 1.5 litres in about 3 mins when it's working well.

It even manged to keep going through today's rain. Unlike us. We decided to pack up and come home early. So I'll just leave you with a photo of a Ladybird on a Morning Glory.


The 2016 Courgette Tally:
53

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?