Thursday 19 April 2018

Allotment Week: The hottest day in April since 1949

Whew, what a scorcher.

Well I guessed it was going to be hot because I keep an eye on Weather Underground. A useful little website where you can even setup alerts for potential frost warnings. No need for those today, as apparently it's the hottest April day since 1949.

Just as well I pushed The Wife out of bed at 7am so we could get down to the plot before the big heat hit. First on the cards was the third and final trough.Then, as I turned round from making that, I saw the sorry state of the shed.

One quick coat of Ronseal later and it looks so much better.

I guess the grape vine won't notice any difference. It hasn't started shooting yet, which is no surprise. It always takes an age to get started. Mind you, last year it had already started budding by the 16th April. I guess the late winter has set everything back about 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, by the time noon rolled around, we were definitely wilting under the heat, and thought it best to head for cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?