Sunday 30 June 2019

More lack of updates.

If you're a long time reader of this blog, then you will know that over the past few months I have been having some serious health issues. Last weekend (Sat 22nd) those health issues seemed insignificant compared to what the next few days would bring.

At about 8pm I was rushed into St. Georges hospital A&E in an almost catatonic state. I was suffering from Pneumonia, Acute Kidney Failure (Stage 3), and a blood pressure of 66/40. I spent the next 3 days in intensive care whilst they flooded my body with intravenous antibiotics, masses amounts of fluids (to get BP back up), and generally tried their damnedest to save my life. Fortunately they are good at their job and it worked. Within two days they had brought the Stage 3 Kidney issue back to Stage 1.

After 3 days I was transferred to a Respiratory Ward where I was taking half a pharmacy's worth of tablets and still taking intravenous stuff through some of the many cannulas that infested my body.

Lets throw some numbers into the ring.
Days in intensive care : 3
Number of cannulas inserted : 8, 1 on back of each hand, 1 in left elbow, 1 dual-way arterial in right wrist, 4 way "central line" inserted in jugular.
Blood pressure when admitted : 66/40
Temperature when admitted : 39.0
Time taken to insert "central line" : 45 mins (normally 10-15 mins)
Total Number of times catheter bag has been emptied (that I know of) : 32
Numbers of times I disgraced myself by vomiting all over myself as I lay in A+E: 2
Number of blood tests : 18
Number of urine tests (that I know of) : 2
Number of CT scans : 2
Number of tablets taken : lost count around 50

The CT scans used some sort of blood dye (not sure exactly what), but they did discover "a left lower lobe dense consolidation" and a "solitary 6mm subpleiral nodule in R lower lobe". Basically an infection point and a cyst which they think is 98% benign.

I was discharged late on the 29th, and I'm resting now at home. I have zero chance of getting to the allotment anytime soon.

I'd just like to give a huge round of thanks to the folks at the London Ambulance Service, as well as the team in the St. George's Intensive Care unit. Without whom, I certainly wouldn't be writing this.

1 comment:

What do you think?