Sunday 17 October 2021

Fences don't make good neighbours

So, I've been digging couch grass again. I think it's going to be my lot in life for the foreseeable future. Once again, I'm pulling handfuls of matted interwoven roots and trying my best to get the damn things out. Except there is a problem. A big problem... fences.

I have a fence alongside my plot, where the manure and wood chip bays are. It was erected a while back when it was decided (for the better) that a location was needed to drop off these supplies apart from the car park. Don't get be wrong, they still do drop in the car park, especially when the central area gets overly boggy and they can't get the vehicles in and out, but that's beside the point. These bays are right next to the plot which makes getting hold of these resources really easy and helpful. But there is a big downside... especially when it comes to couch grass...

...you just can't dig it out.

The couch grass is buried and twisted around the fence poles and you need leverage to be able to break it apart and pull it out. Thats just not happening here. I guess from now on, it will always bee my job to pull the couch grass, each and every time I visit the plot. I don't relish that idea.

We managed to pull probably the last two courgettes out. One was hidden in the foliage, and it was more marrow sized. Guess I must have missed that.

The 2021 Courgette Tally:
57






1 comment:

  1. We have the same problem, our allotment site has a culture of pallet fences between plot and next to the drives, they serve no real purpose except extra maintenance and to harbour weeds that leach into every plot

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?