Tuesday 16 April 2013

Questions about the grapevine

Working from home two days a week means I don't have to spend the 2.5 hours in the commute home. So come end of day I can nip down the allotment for a bit more quality time.

Today I went down there just to tidy up a bit. Water the seedlings (which are going great guns at the moment) and start looking at getting the grape vine lifted into position.

Since I trimmed off all the leaves and end stems late last year, I haven't touched the grapevine. So when I looked at it I was a little surprised to see how dry and brittle it was. I am worried that it might have died. This would be a major set back as the vine is a huge big thing that looks like it has been there for ages. They are normally quite tough (my father had several) and would withstand drastic pruning in the autumn. But in this case, the ends are dry, brittle and break easily. i cannot see any signs of new life in it. But it may just be a little too early.

Does anybody know when vines should be springing into life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?