Friday 20 June 2014

Scene of utter devastation.

Last year the courgettes were brilliant. I had an over abundance of them at times and ended up giving a lot away. This year I think I'll be lucky to get a handful. Despite having a similar number of plants, it seems that they are being targeted by that gardeners nemesis, slugs.

What were nice thriving plants with three of four good sized leaves are being munched down to, in some cases, a single leaf, and in a couple of cases, no leaves.

Now I am loathe to use slug pellets. After all what is the point of growing your own if you still end up with all those poisons entering your body. May as well go to the supermarket and buy commercial stuff.


So I've been trying a few things out to deter those slimy pests. Egg shells? Do not work. Copper? Nada. Beertraps? Kind of work a bit. Foxes? Sort of works.

But the problem is that there are just too many of the damn things. I've taken to stamping on the buggers to try and get their guts to fly off across the plot. Maybe it's a new sport? Slug Gut Shooting? But it only works with the big ones. The smaller ones I just chop in two.

Vicious? Yes I am. But it's war out there. And I intend to win dammit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?