Friday 19 April 2019

Allotment Week: Day 1

Allotment "Week"? Well due to the stupidity of figuring out religious festivals based on changing solar circumstances, this holiday is in close proximity to the May Bank Holiday. So much so that for taking a few days off work, you can get almost 3 weeks of holiday. Works for me.

So today I need to assess exactly what I need to do over the next couple of weeks and there is quite a bit to do.

Firstly, the compost bins are full (well two of them are) and need to sieved and sorted. Thats going to be a long boring task.


Secondly the new portion of the plot is still plagued with couch grass and dock. That needs a good digging out.

Thirdly there is the wild area at the very back of the plot that was previously used as a courgette mound a couple of years back, and last year became a storage space for many, many strawberry plants.

Just what I'm going to do with this section, I don't know at the moment. Other than clearing the couch grass out, and whatever wild flowers seem to have self-sowed themselves.

Meanwhile I need to get a start on dealing with the seeds.

The bushy tray in the middle of the above photo is the Pak Choi which has shot off to a great start. So now I need to prick out the seedlings into something a little more capable of growing on the results.

The other seedlings can wait a couple of weeks.

Elsewhere there are flowers starting to bloom. In the greenhouse, there are strawberries flowering.

And outside the Apple Tree is starting to blossom.

I think there is always the rest of the fortnight to work on the three major issues. But I have no idea what I'm going to build for the back section around the apple tree and artichoke. Maybe it'll come to me in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?