Saturday 28 March 2020

Allotment Week - Under lockdown - Day 1 - Shed load of stuff to do

I booked some time off work back in December. I set it for the first three weeks of April (ok, last couple of days of March as well) as I thought that the weather would be sufficiently decent for me to spend a good while down the plot. Little did I know that we would be facing an apocalypse in the form of a deadly plague. I am one of the severely vulnerable people. I have asthma, and last year I spent a long time in hospital with a lung infection and pneumonia. So if I contract this virus then I would be in big trouble.

Fortunately the lockdown allows people to exercise, so I choose to use that exercise down the plot. After all, it's not like there are many of us that go down there at once. As one of my work colleagues said of the allotment "that's about as unsociable as you can get". That's not true as we are a pretty sociable bunch, but we can certainly honour the social separation recommended.

The day started pretty sunny. But by the time I got down the plot the clouds and wind had started to gather. But since we cleaned out the greenhouse it's nice and warm in there, so I made a spot of lunch.

Kettle on for coffee and a spot of pasta in the pot.

Meanwhile outside I did the old tissue paper trick on a tin of tuna in oil in the Ghillie Kettle. I put it in the kettle because of the wind. Having it just open wouldn't have worked.

Once I warmed up with lunch, I then had a look around the plot to see what needed doing. The first thing that jumped out at me was the good old shed. I didn't manage to get round to painting it last year (for obvious reasons) so it's looking a little tired and worn. The last time I painted it was two years ago.


So I dug out the old pot of wood paint to give it a touch up.


Afterwards I gave the seeds in the greenhouse a good watering. The Turnips, and Pak Choi have already begun to sprout.

And then went wading into the deep end (which was now dry) but had a large number of dock plants in it. So I dug down into the soft soil to try and dig them out. As you probably know, dock have a very long tap root so I had to dig pretty deep to get the damn things out. Once those things were removed, I contemplated digging over the bed, but thought better of it and headed home. After all, tomorrow is another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?