Sunday 23 May 2021

Bundle of 'barb

 It's been cold and wet down the allotment recently. There has been an unseasonably amount of rain. There has also been a delivery of much needed woodchips so I wasted little time in getting a good couple of dozen barrowloads put onto the plot, at least where I've dug out the couch grass. There is still so much digging to do though.


But in the greenhouse there is a lot of work still to be done. Courgettes need to be potted on into bigger pots. More sweetcorns need to be sown to replace the ones that were high up on the shelves and got hit be the frost ages ago.


And outside, despite the cold, things are starting to grow. The Grape Vine has started sprouting leaves. It's a little bit later this year than previous years, but at least there are some flowers on the Blueberries as well.


And finally, the rhubarb is going great guns., It does seem to be loving this cold damp weather. Sadly this year, I won't be making the infamous Rhubarb and Ginger Jam. Why? Because we already have a load left over from previous years.

But at least the neighbours can have a fresh rhubarb crumble instead.

1 comment:

  1. Eurgh, I hate needing to pot things on. I fear I’ll have to do that with my squashes. I only sowed them in little pots and not sure if they’ll appreciate going straight into the ground. I’ll see if the weather cheers up, as it’s meant to....
    Lovely looking red rhubarb by the way

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?