Monday 28 March 2022

Allotment Week - Day 3 - Tubes and Chips

So there I was at the allotment. I had just started cutting and folding the toilet rolls - I've posted about this technique before...

Then suddenly I get a whiff. A nice "pine-fresh" scent. And sure enough I look over to the woodchip bay, which is right next to the plot, and I see it. There has been a fresh new delivery. Not sure when it arrived, either yesterday afternoon, or first thing this morning. But anyway, I'm not one to turn down a gift of goodness.

So all of the planting thoughts for today went straight out the window and instead I spent a good few hours with my wonky barrow filling up all the goat paths between the beds.


Now I know some of you will be arguing that using pine (I seems that it was a fir tree of some sort) is not ideal, because it's makes a slightly acid mulch. However this really isn't a problem. The main point of the woodchip is to act as a weed suppressant and water sponge in times of rain.

And yes, there are still some beds that need fully digging out removing all the weeds. I'll get round to that. Eventually.








1 comment:

What do you think?