Monday 6 April 2015

Allotment Week Day 1: Brambles and Beds

Today, as promised, we went down to the Lower Morden Garden Centre first thing. Had a spot of early lunch whilst perusing the wares. Just some compost this time, but a voucher for £5 if we spend £25 within the next month. Like the man says "I'll be back."

Down on the plot, it's a glorious sunny day. But there is still a lot to do. Good job I have the whole of this week off work and can get cracking. So much to do.

First off, we have an infestation of brambles. Along the southern border. Though it would be nice to have a Blackberry wall, these are just too much of a nuisance here. So they really have to be cut down to size.

Easier said than done. There is a lot of long, dead grass mixed into it all. The thought occurred to me, why not burn it out. Or at least burn back some of the dead grass to see where you're cutting. So I liberally sprinkled some of my cooking juice over the area and set a spark against it. Much easier on that clump.

Unfortunately I can't do the same on the other clump as it is right next to next-door's beds with the weed fabric covering. If I were to torch this, then it might burn the weed fabric too, which is not something I want to do. But in the end, after four barrows of spiky bits, I got most of it down to ground level.

Meanwhile the wife was getting her flower bed ready. She's going all out on flowers this year (I'm still a veggie only guy. I don't do flowers unless they're edible).

She planted Lily-of-the-valley and Ranunculus, but has a whole load of other bee-friendly flowers ready to go in. It's going to be a right old mixture this year.

In the greenhouse, the infamous Courgettes get planted.

Well at least the first wave of them. We still have loads more seeds.

Spuds are starting to chit.

But outside, there is sooo much to do. Got to get new beds made, the mound needs sorting out. No courgettes on there this year. It's probably going to be green manure and meadow flowers.
So long as Mr Fox doesn't dig them up.

And yet more to do tomorrow, if the weather holds up. But at least the Strawberries seem happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?