Sunday 26 April 2015

Building stuff (and weeding!)

A little bit of rain and the weeds go crazy.

No I didn't bother taking photos of the weeds. You all have your own, so you know what they look like. They're popping up all over. Out with the hoe and bring 'em all back down to size... except for the bind weed which is popping up shoots no matter where you turn. I keep pulling them out whenever they rear they're ugly little heads, but as the ground is so full if it, it seems a never ending task.

Which is why I'm building the beds. However I left the wood out yesterday after building one bed. Today I need to cut lots of the corners. But of course, cutting wet wood is not fun as the saw tends to stick, so instead I turned my attention to wood that is inside.

I've had this little stack of pallets for a while. It serves as a table of sorts, in that it holds the cooker and kettle. But it's not very practical because it takes up so much room. Time for a little creative attention I think.

There are 5 pallets stacked there. So I chose two with long slats to turn into the legs, and two with short cross slats to work as shelves. With a diagonal brace at the back to stop it all shifting around, it seems to work well now... and I have a pallet left over.

Kettles on. Time for coffee.

Meanwhile, the strawberries in the greenhouse, have flowered and started producing.

Beetroot seedlings are coming on a treat. They'll soon be ready to go outside. Time to plant some more.

Outside, the Apple tree is now in full blossom.

And what's this?

Potatoes are sprouting. Things are finally starting to get going. Gotta get the rest of these beds made so I can get my beans in. Of course, now I want it to stop raining and dry out so I can cut this wood. Typical! Never satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?