Saturday 9 May 2020

Hard day in the sun

I nearly passed out.

We went down to the plot early as we knew we had a lot of work to do. But even trying to get The Wife out of bed in the morning is quite a struggle. I've always been an early bird though. But we eventually managed to roll up to the plot at about 9am. Surprisingly there were a few others who arrived before us.

Any way I made a finish on getting the remains of the compost sieved out. The bed is now clear of compost. But it still needs a little attention regarding the grass and other detritus that spilled out from the digging.

Meanwhile The Wife was on a mission. She had to improve her Strawberry Empire. So all the little pots of plants that were scattered around the plot were rounded up and forced into trays and bigger pots. And now The Empire spans nearly half the plot.

Although I'm sure there are more hidden around, just waiting to ambush me when I turn my back.

After digging the compost, I finally finished off digging the Deep End bed No.4. The one which had all the clay in it. It did get a liberal helping of the compost that was previously recovered from the afore mentioned compost bin. But it was at this point that I started feeling very faint. I crawled away into the shade to nurse a drink of water and get my breath back. I think it was sun stroke. Or just plain exhaustion. But either way, The Wife finished off planting the 15 Crown Prince squashes into this bed.

Last, but not least, before we left for the day, we picked a whole load of non-snail eaten Pak Choi leaves. This will be tonight's dinner.

Hopefully it will replace the leaves picked with loads more tasty treats for us. Now I'll see if I can get home without passing out. Maybe it's the fact that we left early without breakfast?

2 comments:

  1. It's easy to get over-tired in this weather, I hope you've recovered.
    I not with interest that you put 15 Crown Prince where I'd put no more than 9. I'm intrigued to see the yield you get as I always begrudge the amount of space they take up. How did you prepare the bed in terms of fertiliser, compost etc : All the best - Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern. Yes, I recovered after a huge drink of iced lime juice.
      And you're right. normally there would be only 9 in an area that size. But as the allotments are rather short of manure, this bed has only got a light sprinkling of compost from my bins. As such I'm not really expecting them to produce a huge number of fruits. We'll make sure that they don't get out of control.

      Delete

What do you think?