Tuesday 12 May 2020

No frost - but they're all dead

So I popped down to the plot to do a spot of mid-week watering. We've not had any rain for ages and the ground is bone dry.

Nor have we had any cold temperatures. Being in the middle of London we're in a "heat island", so we don't get the late frosts like you do "out in the sticks". So imagine my surprise when I found that our recently planted Crown Prince and the Courgettes all exhibit signs of frost damage.



It's only the outer leaves that appear to be hit. The inner core of the plant is fine. (Apart from the one CP which appears to have been sheared off at the root).

What I suspect has happened is that the recent winds have caught them as they are in an exposed part of the plot. A wind chill could easily drop the temperature another couple of degrees and made them suffer, despite there being no actual frost.

Good job we have a few spares courgettes in the greenhouse. But I hope the CPs recover, because we have no spares of those and we can't get any more seeds as everywhere seems to be out of stock.

2 comments:

  1. I have CP seeds I can send you, email me your address. We had -3c wind chill and it killed 30% of my French beans, even under a low tunnel : All the best - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a depressing sight! We never trust planting things out till June, but, as you say, we are out in the sticks :-) Glad you have spares and what a nice chap Steve Richards is, with his offer!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?