Tuesday 22 June 2021

Allotment Week - Day 4 - Anatomy of a Thistle

Today I am digging the Sweetcorn bed... it's somewhat daunting.

In there are a whole slew of different weeds. Lambs Quarters (easy to pull out), some small thing that looks like a purslane but isn't (also easy to pull), couch grass (bane of my life), bind weed (bane No. 2) and Thistles!

Now the thistle is a tricky blighter. At the top are the flowers... fortunately I caught this just before they set.

Then there are the dreaded spiky bits. Let me tell you, these are not fun with thin gloves.

And down below is a tap root that wants to head deep, deep down. And this is where the problem lies. Because if you don't manage to get all of that damn root out, then it'll sprout up all over again. Case in point, I dug the thistles out of this bed a while back, but didn't get the whole root. So now they sprouted.

Well it looks like the final score is Thistles - 1, Me - nil. I was defeated in attempting to clear the bed. All the bending over to dig out the weeds made my back ache and my stomach feel somewhat queasy. 

Just about got half-way. I think retreat is the order of the day and try to marshal my forces to make another assault tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! I've just cleared my squash bed, full of bindweed and couch, but mercifully not so much marestail in that bed

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?