Saturday 12 June 2021

By the pricking of my thumbs...

So the correct term, before it obtained such lewd connotations, is Pricking Out. And we have a lot of plants that are in dire need of just such an activity. First off we have the Chillies. After a very slow start I thought that we wouldn't have much in the way of chillies this year as nothing sprouted. But I suspect that it was the cold April that caused everything to be slow, and I was almost considering throwing out the tray of seeds are starting all over again. But when May started rolling round, things seemed suddenly trigger into action. And now I have a tray of about 20 seedlings all requiring their own pots.

After I had finished here, The Wife got to work clearing up. As you can see this task was done on a pallet balanced on the end of the flower bed. A bed which was growing more weeds than the afore mentioned flowers. So The Wife started clearing it to plant a few remaining flowers such as Calendular that we had growing.

Meanwhile I was still doing battle with the couch grass around the big beds trying to get a bit of space to start planting out some of our courgettes.

So I don't know if my thumbs are aching from just the digging or the pricking out, or maybe it's simply because in amongst all the grass were a whole load of thistles and my gloves are not the thickest (cheap Wilko gloves, £1 a pair) and the thistle spikes kept digging into me. I certainly don't need to be a great detective to figure this one out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?