Saturday 16 April 2022

Strawberries and Seeds

I learned my lesson from yesterday. I went to the plot at 9am this morning to get things sorted out before the heat of the day sends me running for cover. Upon opening the greenhouse, I saw a scurry of movement underneath the stands. Suspecting a mouse I bent down to check it out only to see a flurry of feathers. A male House Sparrow had got in, probably through the open window and was somewhat trapped. He managed to make good his escape though. He may have got in yesterday as there were quite a few bird droppings on the chair and other places. But he seemed just fine as there were places where he could drink from the seed trays.

On the subject of seeds, before the heat got too much I started planted a whole load more seeds into pots and trays.


More Peas, Crown Princes, Tumbling Tom Tomatoes (Both Red and Yellow varieties), some more Kelsae Onions, and some Burpless Cucumbers.

Yesterday when I got home, I recharged my electric screwdriver to help in trying to build the shelves, but even fully charged it doesn't have enough strength to turn the screws in. My old drill used a NiCad battery and as is typical with those things the battery is now dead and won't hold a charge so it can't really be used for this. So I think I'll have to bring my BIG screw driver which allows me to get a better grip. At present the shelves are still in bits, and hence are not really photogenic yet.

Meanwhile the Wife's Strawberry Empire has been neglected somewhat. It's now full of clover, thistles and dandelions mixed in with all the strawberries. These have also sprouted runners which are all over the place. Not really a problem but it does need sorting. I dug everything out, putting all the strawberry plants into a separate bucket ready to be re-planted afterwards.

Before...

After...

I'm sure you'll agree that it is much better, but I will have to keep an eye on the re-planted strawberries just to make sure that they take. They should be OK, as Strawbs are reasonably tolerant of being disturbed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?