Sunday 19 April 2020

Quick trip for watering.

I am not allowed to go shopping anymore. In fact I'm not allowed to talk to, or be near anybody else. I am one of the High Risk people. So I now spend my time between the 2nd bedroom (which is my study/work room/Otaku room), the car, and the allotment. However I can drop The Wife off at the supermarket, suitably masked and gloved, so she can do the shopping, then nip to the allotment to do the watering, then back to the supermarket to pick her up and back home again. So that's what I do these days. Especially when we need to do a big shopping and we need the car.

We had rain a couple of days ago, so outside doesn't need watering. But the recent sunshine means that the greenhouse tends to get a bit warm and dry for the plants. So that's my job these days.
The Big greenhouse is our main seeding and potting place. It now has a large variety of plants in it.

However some of our seeds haven't yet sprouted.

The second tray of turnips is looking a bit on the yellow side (left), maybe I should consider planting them outside. To the right of that is the Kale, which is still a little on the small side, and I know that if I plant those outside, the pigeons will make a complete mess of it. To the right, the peas are doing really well, but I won't consider planting them out until the roots are just beginning to show through the pots.
Tomatoes are doing well (they're just behind the Kale) so they still have a ways to go before potting on. But just in front of the Kale are the Purple Carrots. Nada. Zip. Zilch. None. Nothing. They just haven't sprouted at all. Well considering that this was our own seed that we collected, it may not be all that surprising. There is something to be said for buying seed from suppliers. They know how to collect seeds from viable sources. It may well be that the seeds that we collected were not viable in the first place. Having said that I don't know what's happening with our New Zealand Spinach outside, because none of it has sprouted yet. Well it may have done, but there are numerous other small sprouts in there and I can't tell the difference between Spinach and other weeds as yet.

But the Small Greenhouse is another matter. That's our dumping ground at present.

We do have 5 trays of Pak Choi in there at the moment, and I'll probably put the Chillies and the two remaining Cucumbers in there (damn that mouse), but as to the spare pots, tubs, trays and other assorted flotsam. Meh, you know how allotments tend to gather junk? Put it aside for possible future use and you end up with a pile of stuff before long. One of these days I'll have to get round to tidying it. But not today. Gotta go pick up The Wife with about 3 weeks worth of shopping.

1 comment:

  1. my New Zealand spinach germinated in February outside and I pricked out a few dozen plants and grew them on, but the original seedlings are still fine, despite quite a few frosts

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?